Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lets try again

Well I have been crabbing this week over money again, as usual.  I ended up with only $50 for this weeks groceries and I was not happy.  But you know what?  It turned out fine, not great, but fine.  I think we have gotten into some lazy habits over the summer and we need to re-group so to say.  I think I need to go back to cash only for grocery shopping, and make it $75 a week.  It will still be tight, but oldest son kicks in with pet food and such from his check.  So it works out.  I think I will also give up driving into the 'boro and over to Kroger.  I will save a ton on gas and this is also a must since I need front end work on my Durango.  Hubby said I can't leave town until it is fixed, which at the earliest will be at the end of the month.  I think I can get pretty much everything from our local grocer and the Dollar General Market.  The $GM is a huge blessing and their food selection as well as paper goods have fair prices.  Any location without the market add-on just doesn't know what it's missing out on.  Anyway, the local grocer has a pic-5 sale every week.  Basically you pick 5 different dinner items, such as chicken, beef and assorted other items, for $19.99.  So $20 a week for 5 lunch or dinner entree's is a good deal.  We are looking at about $40 of my $75 and my lunch and dinner is pretty much taken care of.  I only need now worry about some veggies and paper products.  Sounds good in theory, lets see if I can make this work better than I have been.  I really take being a good steward of my husbands money seriously.

Tonight for dinner I made roast in the crock pot (on sale at the local grocer).  I heated up some green beans and also added some rice to the cooker after the roast was done.  I kept the roast warm in the oven and stirred the rice into the beef juice, turned it to high, covered it and cooked for 30 minutes or so.  It was sooooooooooo excellent.  I said it was just like rice=r=roni and my hubby said no, it was better! Aweeeee LOL  Just wanted to pass that rice tip on to you all who slow cook.

Blessings, Beth Ann

No comments: