Saturday, January 08, 2011

Saturday Shopping

I prefer to do my shopping on Friday mornings, it's the best time for mark down food at the local market (and I did get some), but today was the only day for the $5 coupon at the $GM.  On top of that the store was packed as there was mention of possible snow flurries tonight (oh my).  So braved the hordes and loaded up a cart for me and a cart for hubby (don't tell).  We were able to use two of the $5 coupons and I also had two 1cent egg coupons to redeem : )    I prefer farm eggs but these are good for making hard boiled eggs (farm eggs are not).

First week total for Jan. ended up being $78 as of last Thursday the 6th.  Second weeks total started Friday the 7th and is currently at $145.  I would like to do better than this, but it does include pet food.  I am also proud to say that all food choices and purchases were with high protein/low carb in mind and was successful.  I almost caved yesterday as I had been battling a flu bug and didn't feel like cooking but decided the cost of prepared food/frozen for all of us was not much cheaper than a nice piece of corn beef I found and plopped into my slow cooker with a bunch of veggies.  Much more satisfying and tasted delish!  Today sees a nice roast with low starch veggies in my crock pot and a wonderful smell in my kitchen.  I also whipped up a batch of bread machine hot dog buns made with spelt flour (have you seen what is in the commercial pack). 

I do have a couple of recipes to share but want to point out that sometimes there are other benefits besides financial.  I will share a recipe for toothpaste and deodorant.  Besides being cost effective they are extremely earth and health friendly.  There is no fluoride, and you don't need it, in the toothpaste and  no aluminum (why do they put it in there) in the deodorant.    Just trying to be the best me I can be.  If you would like the book info on where I get my information just drop me a line.

Toothpaste:
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon salt.

Mix and store in an air tight container.  You may also add a couple drops of any natural oil you prefer for taste.



Deodorant:
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch

Mix it up.  Store in air tight container.  Use powder puff to apply.



Whats next for us?  Well I am officially giving up soda.  Eventually coffee too I hope, but baby steps for now.  I will drink ice tea and half/calf Folgers.  When my tea bags run out I will then switch to decaf. green tea.  I am also only buying brown sugar and using local honey to sweeten.  Eventually only the honey .  Just some small steps for us to look forward to : )  Will keep you posted as the month progresses and so does our money spent on groceries.

Blessings, Beth Ann

No comments: