Friday, July 11, 2008

Foraging for food



That is what the topic is today for Frugal Fridays, and yes I have recently. About two weeks ago my friend took me blueberry picking with her, up by her church. I had never done this before, but I braved the sun(take a med. that makes me allergic) and the bugs, and donned my cutest sun hat and gave it a whirl!


I picked about 5 cups worth, which was more than enough to make Berry Preserves with some left over. I used the recipe in Nourishing Traditions cookbook, with excellent results


Berry Preserves


Makes 1 Quart


4 cups fresh berries (black, blue, raspberry or mixture)

2 tsp. sea salt

1/4 cup dehydrated cane sugar (Rapadura)

1/4 cup whey


Wash berries and place in bowl with remaing ingredients. carefully mash down until berries are well crushed. Mix thoroughly and place in a jar. Add enough water to bring level of liquid to the top of the berries. Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for 2 days before transferring to the refrigerator. Use within 2 months.


This was my first attempt and way easier than when I made homemade sauerkraut! LOL


For more on Frugal Friday check out http://www.biblicalwomanhoodonline.com/ .


Blessings, Beth Ann

No comments: