Thursday, July 17, 2008

Looking for Goodwill

I just recently finished a book I picked up from our local library on a recommendation from the book review in our local paper. First time this has ever happened. The book was good, not great but good. I have seen/heard/read similar ideas before. But I did want to share this for two reasons: One, it's a good idea that bears repeating and two, what would you do/answer to these questions. The set up is that the authors are a father and son team from Nashville who go on a one year quest looking for goodwill. They felt the need to do this when one day they got tired of only hearing bad stuff in the news. So they hit all 50 states, talked to randomly picked people and asked them a few simple questions. At the end of the interview they were then given $10 with the instructions to spend it in spreading goodwill and to drop a note back about how it was used. It was these post cards that I found the most interesting.

So here it goes, how would you answer these questions and spend your $10? I'll start you off with my answers:

1. Is there a place in your state which you especially enjoy? What is your favorite place, and why?

I know it sounds hooky but I actually just like being home in my own back yard.

2. What is the best thing about your town or state?

My town is small. We are close enough to big cities for anything we need, but still safe enough for my kids to play outside. It's nice going into businesses, church and know people enough to call them by name.

3. Of all the people you know, is there one who "stands out" for consistently doing good things?

Actually it's a married couple, and still pretty young, under the age of forty. Their mission field is everyone they meet. They will give food, cloths, money, rides, you name it. If they can do it they do, if they can't they find someone who can! Very rare in what I consider "young" people now adays.

4. Which person, living or dead, would you most like to meet, or meet again?

This is a hard one. I am thinking my mother in-law. I hadn't even been married a year when she was killed in a car accident. I had only just started to get to know her. She knew I had just found out I was expecting, but she never knew it was twins! I want to thank her for the wonderful job she did raising my husband.

5. What is the best decision you have made?

To re-establish my religion after my divorce.

6. Do you have a goal you still hope to achieve?

My husband (remarried) and I would like to go full time in our RV and see what God created in the Untied States before development and the all mighty dollar plow it under.

7. What is the best thing that has happened in your life?

Meeting my second husband. Someone to share my faith, goals, and dreams. He accepts me just the way I am. Warts and all.

8. If you had an opportunity to begin a new career, what would you choose to do?

Dear Husband and myself have toyed with the idea of owning our own campground. Have an opportunity to repay some of the hospitality that has been shown us while on the road.

9. Do you have a message of encouragement or words of advice for the readers across the land?

I would just like to share my favorite bible verse ~ Jeremiah 29:11-12 " For I know the plans I have for you", says the LORD, "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen".

What would you do with $10 to spread goodwill?

My town is so small we don't have an animal control or animal shelter. All unwanted, hurt or damaged animals end up at the local animal clinic. My son works there and through him I know how they struggle to take care of unwanted animals that are still adoptable. I would give the money to them for the care of unwanted animals. In the long run I believe keeping an animal until it is adopted can and will benefit not only the animal but the person who helps it.

Even if you don't read the book or answer the questions, even to yourself, I hope this has at least made you think about goodwill in your own community today.

Blessings, Beth Ann

No comments: