Sunday, May 17, 2009

Retro . . .

Things are tough all over, I know we are not alone. I just wanted to share that we made the decision to get rid of our cable. We only had reg. basic, but it was still another bill. We also found we were watching almost nill and was disgusted by most of it. We were uncomfortable watching most shows with our kids and if we were honest, we wouldn't want to watch with God sitting next to us either. If you are to embarrassed to watch something with God, then you just don't need to see it. That's how we view it, or don't, any how. For about 3 years we have been subscribing to Netflix, and the package we get is half the price of our cable bill. I have found it a valuable tool for home school. We especially enjoyed the documentary on Mt. Vesuvius. But we have discovered another benefit , retro TV shows.

I have always said I was born in the wrong time period, I much prefer the 50's - early 60's and I own all the Green Acres DVDs (got to love that song stuck in your head); just to give you a glimpse into how my head works - LOL Anyway, you can watch these shows with your kids. No nudity, swearing, violence, and so forth. We also love reliving our youth with some great 80's shows that we enjoyed. To our delight, our children love them too! My son's faves are McGyver, Knight Rider and Northern Exposure. My daugther enjoys Knight Rider as well and Perfect Strangers, not to mention Little house and all their spin offs. I am sure you get the point.



There are many, many more new and old friends to see. I am just thankful this service is available. They also have all the new release movies, with reviews from critics and fans. That is a valuable tool for a parent when their child wants to see something you have never heard of before. They also have Christian movies that never make to big screen and I might never have heard of if not for them. I could go on and on, but I won't. I just wanted to let other parents know there is a great tool out there for controlling your family enviorment at a budget price. They make it safe for family viewing and movie nights again. So get a good family movie, I recommend a recent pick of ours - The cat from outer space (circa 1967), grab the kids, hubby and some popcorn. Have fun being a family again!

Blessings, Beth Ann

No comments: