Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pears, pears and more pears



A little over a week ago I was gifted with a case of organic pears! Wow, that's alot of pears : ) Then I got sick and didn't get right to them. Oh the kids were eating them in their lunch's and such. Well they weren't 100% ripe, so this was a good thing. So now I am back in the saddle so to speak and looking at a mega lot of ripe pears. First on the list is my world famous crock pot applesauce ~ uh, I mean pear sauce. That's right, many of the same recipes you can use for apples you can also use for pears. I love my crock pot and this is the perfect use for it. It won't heat up the house, but it still smells devine!


Crock Pot Applesauce (or pears)
8 cooking apples, quartered, pared, cored and chopped
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 c. water
1. Combine all ingredients in cooker.
2. Cook on low 5-6 hours.
Yield: 6 servings
Note: You may want to chop the apples coarsely before cooking them, then mash them after they're cooked; it's easier that way.
Not sure what else I may do with these, may make several batches of pear sauce and freeze. Please share any pear ideas you may have.
Blessings, Beth Ann