Sunday, January 04, 2009

Bible study day 4


Today's chapters are Genesis 12 - 15
Notes: Chapter 12 - The story of Abram. When God called him, Abram moved out in faith from Ur to Haran and finally to Canaan. I have had a similar experience with being called from my home of birth and moving out in faith. I look back and am amazed at the amount of faith reacquired to do what I did, for I also had children counting on me. God's timing is always right and always perfect.
Chapter 13 - Abram and Lot. Life is a series of choices, We, too, can choose the best while ignoring the needs and feelings of others. But this kind of choice, as Lot's life show, leads to problems. When we stop making choices in God's direction, all that is left is to make choices in the wrong direction.
Chapter 14 - Abram rescues Lot. When Abram learned that Lot was a captive he immediately tried to rescue his nephew. It is easier and safer not to become involved. But with Lot in serious trouble, Abram acted at once. Sometimes we must get involved in a messy or painful situation in order to help others. We should be willing to act immediately when others need our help.
Chapter 15 - God promises a son to Abram. Although Abram had been demonstrating his faith through his actions, it was his belief in the Lord, not his actions , that made Abram right with God. We, too, can have a right relationship with God by trusting him. Our outward actions - church attendance, prayer, good deeds - will not by themselves make us right with God. A right relationship is based on faith - the heartfelt inner confidence that God is who he says he is and does what he says he will do. right actions will follow naturally as by-products.
Blessings, Beth Ann
Tomorrow Genesis 16 - 18

1 comment:

Maria D. @ DownrightDomesticity said...

Thanks for your comment! I am in Oklahoma, where the tax rate is 8.5%. I was under the impression that Oklahoma prices are pretty good compared to other states (it certainly is waaay better than Washington state, where I'm originally from!). I reread my post and realized that I didn't put down the quantity of what I bought... For instance, I really didn't pay $1.98 per pound for bananas; I actually bought nearly three pounds of bananas for 69 cents a pound! Most of the other produce from my list is similar.

Since there seems to be a dearth of discount grocery stores or outlets in my town, I shop at a local grocery chain that has prices very comparable to Wal-Mart's. It may be slightly more expensive, but the produce is far superior to anything I've ever found at Wally World, and since I buy lots of produce, I'm willing to pay a couple cents more for quality.

I wish you the best of luck with your grocery budget and frugal endeavors!