Monday, February 15, 2010
CHines New Year Recipe
Home made Killer Egg Rolls
1 TBS. butter *
4 eggs, beaten
1 bag shredded veggie coleslaw (w/carrots ~ or make your own)
1 pkg. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tsp. sugar
1 TBS. soy sauce
2 tsp. Lowery's season salt (I use this in place of the MSG and the salt)
1 (14 oz.) egg roll wrappers
1 egg white, beaten
4 C. oil, as needed
* You may also use your choice of oil, I just prefer the flavor of the cabbage in real butter.
1. Heat 1/2 butter in wok over medium heat. Pour in beaten eggs and cook, without stirring, until firmed (like pancake). Flip the eggs over and cook for an additional 20 seconds to firm the other side. Set egg pancake aside to cool, then slice into thin strips.
2. Heat the remaining butter in wok over high heat. Stir in cabbage and carrot; cook for 2 minutes to wilt. Add mushroom, green onions, soy sauce, salt and sugar. Continue cooking until the vegetables soften, about 6 minutes. Stir in the sliced egg, then spread mixture out on to a pan and refrigerate until cold; about 1 hour.
3. To assemble the egg rolls, place a wrapper onto your work surface with one corner pointing towards you. Place about 3 TBS. of cooled filling in a heap onto the bottom third of the wrapper. Follow the handy directions on the back of the wrapper pkg. for folding, basically like a burrito. Brush with egg white to seal.
4. Heat oil in wok or deep fryer (I use my electric fondue pot) to 350.
5. Fry egg rolls 4 - 5 at a time, for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Yield: approx. 20 egg rolls ~ Yummy!!!