Saturday, May 29, 2010

Home made brown rice tortillas

In the never ending quest to eat better and save money, I have been making my own tortillas. Not only is this great for son's fibro but I can use which ever flour I chose. Spelt and brown rice flour are best for son, but you can also make whole wheat, corn, white or a combo.

Tortillas

4 cups brown rice flour
1 TBS. zanthum gum
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. olive oil
1 cup water

Combine all ingredients and mix well, until a ball is formed. Divide and form into 16 smaller balls. Squish with tortilla press and fry in small amount of oil on griddle.
Yield: 16 - 6 inch tortillas
My cost estimate: 90 cents



My cool tortilla press : )

"SQUISH!"


Nice and flat.

The prep line.





Fry time.


I use my olive oil mister to grease my griddle before frying : )





Heat yourself up some refried beans . . .




Finished product.



Load it up! Make yourself a toastado or a burrito, maybe even a taco. Lunch is served! My cost is about $4.50 for 6 people.
In this case however, the beans were free. I was gifted with one of those industrial sized cans refriend beans. Will easily get three meals out of it. While not very healthy and I would not buy this myself, this was a gift and is much appreciated on the budget. Eating this once in a while is OK, even a treat. Frees up more money to buy fresh veggies and groceries : ) I am truly blessed to have friends in my life who share their bounty and blessings with me and my family.
Blessings, Beth Ann









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for this post!