Friday, September 12, 2008

Two out of Three aint' bad

Okay, we all make mistakes, especially if we don't feel well. Yesterday I was feeling plain old YUCKY! A sinus thing I think. Started feeling bad at church the night before, but when I woke up yesterday morning . . . I knew I had been zapped. Anyway, I tried to carry on best I could, which included making dinner. I was making a fruit salad mold thing. This one was with chicken salad. A new recipe. Tough to make even if I had felt well. These are not my forte'. But I tried. I knew by noon that it probably wasn't going to turn out. But also by noon I knew I wasn't going to be in a position to care come dinner time. I was downing cold pills and trying to stay awake. Lo and behold, dinner came and the kids only ate their rice and veggies. I knew something was up. I couldn't taste or smell, and didn't want anything mushy in my mouth. So I skipped it. DH ate his (what a sweetie) but ds laid it on the line (not such a sweetie), "mom the only thing you have ever made worse than this was the lentil loaf". At first I want to cry out in protest at my hurt feelings and hours of sacrifice, in cooking and giving birth! But I couldn't. It was true. The lentil loaf sucked and the fruit mold made me gag. I looked to my son for encouragement, since I obviously could count on him for an unbiased opinion. "Mom", he said, "two bad meals in three years isn't bad". Amen! I am still smarting over this as I tend to be an over achiever and a perfectionist, but I am learning with God's help (and my son's) to admit defeat. Am I alone or are there others out there who go through this. When a meal you planned for and slaved over, doesn't turn out edible, how do you feel and react? Please share.

Blessings, Beth Ann

P.S. We tossed it all out and had cereal for dinner!

No comments: