Monday, March 17, 2008

Garlic update

Attention all garlic groupies, and you know who you are, I have new news on my garlic! For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, and you know who you are, back in December I set upon a quest to find a pickled garlic recipe. I fell in love with this treat after tasting it in a small town in South Carolina, but it was sooo expensive! Well I found a easy and more economical recipe and around Christmas I pickled my first batch. The recipe said to wait at least 6 weeks before trying. Well I am here to tell you that as of today, well over 3 months later, it is perfect! It is now a wonderful smooth sweet/sour consistency. I didn't make anymore for fear that I might not like the final outcome, but now that I know... I had better get cracking!!!





Pickled Garlic


1/2 lb. garlic, peeled
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups distilled white vinegar
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon celery seed

1. Place garlic cloves in a medium bowl, first cutting the large cloves in half. Mix in the red bell pepper.

2. In a large saucepan over medium high heat, place the distilled white vinegar and white sugar. Add the ground dry mustard and celery seed to vinegar mixture. Bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and pepper. Continue boiling 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

3. Place garlic and peppers in a sterile container to within 1 inch of the top. Fill with remaining liquid to within 1/4 inch from the tip. Seal and store in the refrigerator approximately tree weeks before serving. I prefer more like 3 months.

Serve on side as a special treat as you would pickles or olives. Also may eat one whole clove a day to help with blood clotting in a preventive way.



Blessings, Beth

No comments: